The latest retro pop culture headlines are right here each week on Recurrent Events. Listen to us go in depth on select stories in the upcoming TRN Podcast this Tuesday. Movies, TV, Food, Video Games, Music, Toys…we’ve got you covered on all the nostalgic stuff that matters to you.
The big story this week is Hasbro’s apparent plan to bring Transformers back in a big way to theaters. According to Deadline, TWO movies are in development including a continuation of the Bumblebee story from 2018. I’ve seen every Transformers movie, many in the theaters, and Bumblebee was by far my favorite. Having the characters look close to their likeness in the G1 animated series was a great move and I’m looking forward to more. The second movie in development is based on the Beast Wars series which aired from 1996-99. If you’ve never seen it, Beast Wars was definitely a departure from G1 in both its CGI style and the incorporation of animals versus vehicles. Several years ago, I watched a good part of the series with my kids and for the most part, enjoyed it. I’m not sure it will have a wide appeal like the original concept, but I am always interested in how Transformers is presented to kids in the modern day. It’s definitely a smart move to stay in the Bumblebee world and Beast Wars is different enough to distance itself from the Bayverse that most adult fans did not enjoy. But unfortunately the question always comes down to is how much money can it generate at the box office.
Here are the rest of the Recurrent Events headlines for the week of Jan 26 – Feb 1, 2020. (Stories marked with *** are discussed on TRN Podcast this week.)
- Footage Reportedly from George Lucas’ Cancelled Star Wars TV Show Surfaces – Did not remember there was development of a show. The story seems to be a forerunner of Rebels.
- ***Sling TV Partners with Blockbuster for Free Friday Movie Nights – Not sure I quite understand the appeal here other than a little name recognition. Movie selection are not eye opening in the least.
- Mortal Kombat Releases First Trailer for R-Rated Animated Movie
- ***The Thing Movie Getting A Remake Based On Original Novel – Remake of a remake of a remake?
- Uncut Gems directors approached for gritty Pee-wee reboot movie – This is a great idea to have a fresh take on Pee-Wee.
- ***The Green Hornet Is Coming Back In A New Form Thanks To Former Marvel Staffers
- ***Apple and Netflix Both Show Interest in Acquiring MGM – Who want the James Bond library more!
- Masters of the Universe Removed From Universal’s Calendar – This film is just doomed. I say see how the Netflix animated shows are received and then try to develop again.
- Casual Behind the Scenes Photos From the 1967 Filming of Planet of the Apes
- SPOTTED: Stay Puft S’mores Kit and Crunchy Marshmallows – It’s getting to be Ghostbusters season!!!
- SweetHearts Are Back This Valentine’s Day, But More Than Half of Them Are Blank – Umm, I hope they get this problem fixed!
- Bush’s Baked Beans Sets Guinness World Record With 70-Layer, 1,087 Pound Bean Dip
- ***Atari Announces Video Game-Themed Atari Hotels – If this means rooms are setup like arcades then I’m all for it.
- The original Tecmo Bowl is coming to PS4 and Nintendo Switch
- The DeLorean Lives! Iconic 80’s Car Finally Making a Comeback – I wish I had an extra $100k laying around.
- ***This WWF Golden Era LEGO Ideas Set Needs Your Votes, Hulkamaniacs – This looks go glorious!
- ***Contra Video Game Pop! Vinyl Figures From Funko – TAKE MY MONEY!!!
- Psychedelic Furs announce first new album in 29 years — hear first single ‘Don’t Believe’
- Daryl Hall & John Oates Are Plotting a New Album, Not a 50th Anniversary Celebration
- BEASTIE BOYS STORY Doc Gets its First Trailer
Recurrent Events can be found each week as a segment on The Retro Network Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a comment on your favorite story from the list above. Also visit the Recurrent Events Archive for headlines from previous weeks!
Be the first to comment