The weekly Recurrent Events features the latest retro pop culture headlines right here each on The Retro Network. Listen to Jason and Mickey go in depth on select stories in the upcoming TRN Podcast this Tuesday. Movies, TV, Food, Video Games, Music, Toys…we’ve got you covered on all the nostalgic stuff that matters to you.
The big story this week is the announcement of Kevin Smith’s Masters of the Universe: Revelation Voice Acting Cast. It appears he pulled out all the stops to gets the talent he wanted to bring He-man to Netflix. Probably the wisest choice was casting Mark Hamill as the new Skeletor, who has long been celebrated for his Joker in Batman: The Animates Series. Hamill’s counterpart, the voice of Batman Kevin Conroy, will be gargling as Mer-man. Buffy herself, Sarah Michelle Gellar, will be playing Teela while Alicia Silverstone taking on the role of Queen Marlena. Her on-screen partner King Randor will be voice be Diedrich Bader. Stephen Root, Henry Rolling, Jason Mewes, and Smith’s daughter Harley Quinn Smith will also be taking part in the show. The new series will also have one voice actor from the original Filmation series. Alan Oppenheimer, the original voice of Skeletor, will have the role of Moss Man. I’m glad that there is at least one tie to the original series. Other than the character names themselves, that might be it as the limited-run series gave us the following synopsis: “After a ferocious final battle forever fractures Eternia, it’s up to Teela to solve the mystery of the missing Sword of Power in a race against time to prevent the end of the Universe! Her journey will uncover the secrets of Grayskull at last.” As Mickey points out in this week’s podcast, it may be several episodes before we even see He-man if the power sword is missing.
Here are the rest of the Recurrent Events headlines for the week of Feb 9 – Feb 15, 2020. (Stories marked with *** are discussed on TRN Podcast this week.)
- Castlevania season 3 trailer heralds a March 5 release on Netflix
- **‘The Mighty Ducks’ Sequel Series Ordered at Disney Plus, Lauren Graham to Star and Emilio Estevez To Reprise Role As Coach Gordon Bombay – Smart move to have Estevez return.
- **The Rocketeer Reboot Back in Development for Disney+ – No word on if the plot will follow what we knew from the 2016 announcement. The hype is enough at least to get me to watch the first movie again on Disney+.
- **Josh Peck To Headline Turner and Hooch TV Series Reboot For Disney+ – One of my favorite rentals in the ’90s. Very excited to check this out.
- **‘Stranger Things 4’ Teaser Reveals That Hopper’s Alive and Imprisoned in Russia – Weird they confirmed the biggest cliffhanger before the new season is even here.
- **Fox Orders TV Pilot About Re-Enactment of The Goonies – No thanks. Goonies deserves more.
- **‘A League Of Their Own’ Cast Set For Amazon Pilot – Had no idea this was in development. Could be really good if they capture the spirit of the original film.
- **‘CSI’ Event Series Eyed By CBS; Original Cast Members May Return – I’m all-in for a scripted reunion series.
- Battlestar Gallactica Creator Confirms Reboot Series Takes Place in the ‘Same Universe’
- ‘Quantum Leap’ Star Scott Bakula Says There’s “Lots To Do” If Series Is Rebooted
- **Honey, I Shrunk the Kids’ Rick Moranis Comments on His Big Return
- – Not a huge fan of the Shrunk series (Love the original film.) More curious if this could mean a Ghostbusters: Afterlife cameo.
- **Indiana Jones 5 to Start Shooting in April, Says Harrison Ford – Also quoted that Indy 5 Will “See Part of His History Resolved”
- Is THE BREAKFAST CLUB Extended Cut Myth or Reality? – I’m still waiting the extra 90 minutes of Planes, Trains and Automobiles footage.
- Live-action Aladdin sequel in development – We definitively don’t need this but it’s Disney so everything has a sequel of some kind.
- **Mines-Seeker Roku Channel – The classic puzzle game Minesweeper
- Ghosts n DJs is a free ‘80s-style videogame that lets you play as deadmau5 and battle ghost producers and ‘fake’ artists
- **Batman: The Animated Series Gets All-New Comic by Dini, Burnett & Templeton – I’m interested in anything that will continue the BAS universe.
- Iconic ’80s Micro Machines To Return From Hasbro – They should have never left the market.
- **GI Joe Classified Action Figure Series Coming From Hasbro. New figures will be 6-inches and the first wave is rumored to be Snake-Eyes, Duke, Destro, Scarlet and Roadblock. These could be revealed at Toy Fair on Feb 22.
- **Godzilla-Themed Monopoly and Jenga to Launch this Spring – As much as I love Godzilla, I’ll pass on any more Monopoly games in my household.
- **New Target Exclusive Noid Funko Pop! And Tee Set – Best packaging for a Funko Pop I’ve seen.
- ECCC 2020 Reveals: Pop! Television – Masters of the Universe
- How Kenny Loggins Ended Up Recording ‘Danger Zone’ For ‘Top Gun’ – Actually heard this recently when Loggins was on the Gilbert Gottfried podcast.
- Huey Lewis Reveals His Two Biggest ’80s Regrets – The first was shocking he turned down.
- 25 Years Ago: How Slash’s First Solo Album Rekindled His Love of Music
Recurrent Events can be found each week as a segment on The Retro Network Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a comment on your favorite story from the list above. Also visit the Recurrent Events Archive for headlines from previous weeks!