Recurrent Events is here again to give you the latest retro pop culture headlines from this past week. Listen to the upcoming TRN Podcast for our takes on several stories including several Disney projects and the latest Funko releases from London Toy Fair. Also, check out the brand new Recurrent Events calendar on TheRetroNetwork.com homepage featuring a look at upcoming releases in film, TV, Blu-ray, music, toys, and more. You can also add it to your Google or iCal calendar apps on your phone to get daily updates.
The big story this week for me is news on the Ghostbusters: Afterlife movie in theaters this July. First, star Finn Wolfhard told Bloody Disgusting that the new film utilizes more practical effects than CGI. This would do miles for me who love Slimer as the ugly spud puppet in the original movie and even stuff like the eggs popping from their shell on Dana’s kitchen counter. I hope the CGI focus is more on the Ghostbuster’s proton packs and equipment. Another big shot in the arm for the film came from Bill Murray this past week. He told Vanity that “the script is good. It’s got lots of emotion in it. It’s got lots of family in it, with through lines that are really interesting. It’s gonna work. We are a man down. That’s the deal. And that’s the story that we’re telling, that’s the story they’ve written.” That means the story will likely link Egon’s kindred to the other surviving Ghostbusters as hinted in the trailer. It’s usually Dan Aykroyd who does all the hyping but this coming from Murray is a good sign to me.
Here are the rest of the Recurrent Events headlines for the week of Jan 19 – 25, 2020. (Stories marked with *** are discussed on TRN Podcast this week.)
- Alex Cross TV Series In The Works At Amazon – I’ve always liked Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider. Never seen the Tyler Perry movie but anxious to hear more about this series.
- Marvel’s ‘Howard The Duck’ ‘Animated Series Scrapped At Hulu
- Katey Sagal To Star In Erin Brockovich-Inspired Drama ‘Rebel’, Picked Up To Pilot By ABC – Great to see her still working. I thought she was great in her small role in Lost and the hanfull of episodes I saw of Sons of Anarchy.
- ***Obi-Wan Series Cut from Six to Four Episodes, Plot Details Revealed
- ***Willow: Warwick Davis Pumps the Brakes on Disney+ Reboot/Sequel Progress – Mickey is more excited than me on this but we both agree that maybe an animated or CGI series would work better.
- ***Pinocchio: Robert Zemeckis to Direct Live-Action Disney Remake – He is probably the perfect director for a Disney live-action reboot with his resume in animated films and just overall blockbusters.
- ***Bambi: Disney Classic to Get ‘Live-Action’ Lion King Treatment – I’m waiting for the live-action announcement from Disney for other woodland creatures…that bounce.
- Anaconda’s Back! Sony Is Resurrecting the Snake-Fueled Horror Franchise – I think this would work better as a SyFy series.
- ***The Rise and Fall of the Von Erich Family Headed for the Big Screen – Mickey spoke to this on the podcast. Incredibly sad story to tell.
- The Mask’s Jim Carrey Reveals His One Condition for Doing a Sequel – Man, I would’ve loved a sequel back in the day with Carrey. Now, not so much.
- Sony Bumps the Date For Masters of the Universe – Not surprised. This movie has had more bumps than a teenager with acne.
- ***Snake Eyes Movie To Be Heavy On Physical Stunts And Light On CGI – Another good sign that they are focusing more on making the martial arts spectacular which is more important than CGI.
- The Karate Kid to be adapted into a Broadway musical – Umm yeah, I’m good with just my VHS tape.
- Denis Villeneuve wants to “revisit” Blade Runner universe – Didn’t see the new movie so can’t say whether this would be a good thing or not.
- ***‘Kung Fu’ Movie Remake Set At Universal For ‘Hobbs & Shaw’ Director David Leitch – As I mentioned in the podcast, my dad was a huge fan of the show. Sounds like they have the right director for an action-packed reboot.
- ***Oreo Welcomes New Caramel Coconut and Chocolate Marshmallow Flavors – As Mickey hinted on the podcast, the Caramel Coconut could be similar to Girl Scout Samoas which I love.
- ***A Look at the Coca-Cola Insiders Club Subscription Box for January 2020 – While I’d love to try new beverages, I think I’m more impressed with the other goodies included. I have a little sticker envy.
- There’s A New Official Mobile Tetris – I never got into Blitz which I guess is going away, but just the classic game is always a great time killer.
- Hidden Inside Frogger On PlayStation Is An Unused Q*Bert Level
- Sega Genesis Akira Prototype Found, ROM Release Hopefully Soon
- ***Funko Launches Soda Collectibles Line with DC, He-Man & More – I got Mickey’s hopes up that this was an actual soda product on the podcast, but still a fun idea for collectible cans/figures.
- ***Tons Of Funko POP Vinyl Figures Revealed At The London Toy Fair – I think my favorites of this new batch are Gummi Bears.
- Still Struggling to Solve a Rubik’s Cube? There’s an App for That – I’m sorry but if you need an app to solve (like I would,) I think it’s time to give up.
- Additional Details On G.I. Joe Classified 6-Inch Toyline – I think its still more rumor at this point but a boy can dream.
- ‘Balance’ at 25: Five Questions About the Last ‘Van Hagar’ Album
- 18 Rock Stars Who Appeared on ‘Miami Vice’ – It’s articles like this that make me want to watch the entire series again. Such a great show that actually ended 30 years ago this month.
- Slash Says Guns N’ Roses ‘Not Sure’ How to Release New Music – Give us singles. Hell, give us your demos. Fans that want to hear new music don’t care at this point.
Recurrent Events can be found each week as a segment on The Retro Network Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a comment on your favorite story from the list above. Also visit the Recurrent Events Archive for headlines from previous weeks!