The weekly Recurrent Events features the latest retro pop culture headlines right here each on The Retro Network. Listen to Jason and Mickey go in depth on select stories in the upcoming TRN Podcast this Tuesday. Movies, TV, Food, Video Games, Music, Toys…we’ve got you covered on all the nostalgic stuff that matters to you.
The big story this week is Cybertronic Spree’s new tour that came across my feed courtesy Dex at the AEIOU…and Sometime Why blog. To my knowledge, this is the first full-fledged tour by the Transformers cosplay and cover band. They originate from Canada so seeing many dates in the US is a big deal. I’ve had the privilege of seeing them twice at Retro Con in Oaks, PA and both times were great experiences. Cybertronic Spree mainly covers the metal songs from the 1986 Transformers: The Movie soundtrack. Of course, Stan Bush’s “The Touch” and “Dare” are two I’ve looked forward to hearing at each show. Add in a smattering of cartoon theme songs (i.e. Voltron: Legendary Defender, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Droids, Pokemon, The Racoons) and you’ve got a set list unlike any other you’ve ever seen performed live. I would HIGHLY recommend if you are within driving distance of the tour, please don’t hesitate to go. Check out TheCybertronicSpree.com for a complete list of dates from March – June 2020. Check out their YouTube channel to see some of their performances.
Here are the rest of the Recurrent Events headlines for the week of Feb 23 – Feb 29, 2020. (Stories marked with *** are discussed on TRN Podcast this week.)
- **Back to the Future Remake: Tom Holland Says There Have Been ‘Conversations’ – As much as Tom Holland has the potential to be the next Michael J. Fox, this is a big NO from me if a Back to the Future remake ever gets beyond “conversations.”
- **M.A.S.K. Movie Finds Its Writer – Cautiously optimistic about this movie happening. If done right, it could definitely spawn sequels and a new toyline.
- Chris Evans in Negotiations to Star in Little Shop of Horrors – …and he might be joined by fellow Avenger Scarlett Johannson.
- **Steven Spielberg Won’t Direct Indiana Jones 5, James Mangold in Talks to Replace
- Kung Fu: Olivia Liang Cast As The Lead Of the CW Reboot Pilot – Yet another gender swap. But hey, as long as she kicks ass, I think the audience will be there.
- **Hawaii Five-0 To End After 10 Seasons On CBS, Sets Two-Hour Series Finale – I’m not sure there’s ever been a more successful reboot on television. A great run.
- Are Netflix’s Masters of the Universe & Castlevania Actually Anime? – Personally, I could really care less about the style. It took awhile to get used to the new Voltron, but the story-telling eclipsed any reservations I had about the animation.
- Pluto TV Re-adds Its Free 24/7 James Bond Movie Channel – YES! However, the new navigation on Pluto SUCKS big time. I enjoy the simpler, almost cable-like platform.
- **Walmart Wants to Launch an Amazon Prime Competitor – While this story may be geared more toward the shopping aspect, you know they’ll need a solid streaming/music option to compete.
- **CBS All Access is Now Streaming Archie Cartoons
- LEGO Ideas Project Creation Reaches 10 000 Supporters – Indiana Jones Trilogy
- Spin Master Celebrates 60 Years with New Etch-A-Sketch Designs
- Etch-A-Sketch Unveils New Model That Can Draw Circles
- Finally, The Weird Al Yankovic Chia Pet You’ve Been Waiting For
- Hasbro Brings Back Nostalgic Mall Madness Board Game
- More Info On Jada Diecast G.I. Joe Vehicles And Metal Figurines – As a Hot Wheels collector, there is nothing else right now but getting a HISS tank and Snowcat in my hands.
- Amazing Isolated Vocals Of Cyndi Lauper Singing ‘Girls Just Want To Have Fun’ – This was really cool. She already has some of the most unique vocals, but isolating them even really heightens her talent.
- ’80s New Wave Icons Missing Persons Announce New Studio Album & First Single
- **Dunkin’ Introduces New Snackin’ Bacon – Goes with everything, right?
- A Look at the Coca-Cola Insiders Subscription Box for February 2020 – I think Coke has done a great job the first two months.
- **Pizza Hut – Mozzarella Poppers Pizza – Could it be? A Pizza Hut promotion that doesn’t get Mickey’s blood pressure up?
- **Lay’s Brings Back Crispy Taco and Wavy Fried Green Tomato Potato Chips – Never tried the Crispy Taco flavor so excited about that.
- **New Sprite Ginger Arrives – Anxious to try but guessing it’s probably not for me.
Recurrent Events can be found each week as a segment on The Retro Network Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a comment on your favorite story from the list above. Also visit the Recurrent Events Archive for headlines from previous weeks!