It’s time for Season 2! Welcome to the newly christened Haunted House Show podcast. For the next 12 weeks we will take a look at the entire NWA/WCW Halloween Havoc series. Every year. Every match. Your trios tag team champions will carry over the top 5 matches and top 5 shows rankings just like we did for In Your House.
NWA/WCW was a different beast than the WWF product at the time. More emphasis on wrestling instead of sports entertainment. This inaugural event features many familiar faces in more serious personas.
Halloween Havoc 1989 took place October 28, 1989 at the Civic Center for 7,300 fans in one of the greatest cities for wrestling: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Jim Ross and Bob Caudle call the action. Gordon Solie and Chris Cruise do all of the backstage interviews. Everything about this show is different than what the WWF In Your House series showed. There is not just one type of wrestling out there, and jumping from 1990’s Attitude era to this is a culture shock.
To ease listeners into this change, your hosts promise to stay the same. Matty Treats talks about his terrible work week. We talk about the strangest things we’ve ever done on a lunch break. Goodwill finds. Filthy retail stories. Heel announcers. Comparing WWF work to NWA work. A surprising amount of body discussion. All of the match break downs and opinions you’ve come to love. Which match will be the Hot Tag of the Week? Plus the story of “Yum”.
Halloween Havoc 1989 matches include:
- Tom Zenk vs. Mike Rotunda.
- The Samoan SWAT Team (Fatu, Samu, and the Samoan Savage) (with Oliver Humperdink) vs. The Midnight Express and Steve Williams (with Jim Cornette).
- Tommy Rich vs. The Cuban Assassin.
- The Fabulous Freebirds (NWA tag team champions) vs. The Dynamic Dudes (with Jim Cornette).
- Doom (with Woman) vs. The Steiner Brothers.
- Lex Luger (NWA United States champion) vs. Brian Pillman.
- The Road Warriors (with Paul Ellering) vs The Skyscrapers (with Teddy Long).
- Ric Flair and Sting (with Ole Anderson) vs. Terry Funk and the Great Muta (with Gary Hart) in a Thunderdome match with special referee Bruno Sammartino.
There’s nothing scary about looking your best. Nor is there anything scary about supporting your favorite wrestling podcast. You can show your love for The House Show with a variety of clothing and other products now available at The House Show store.
The Retro Network’s own Kevin Decent (@MaskedLibrary) along with his two best friends “Sweet” Matty Treats (@MattyTreats) and Matt “the Educator of Excellence” are revisiting the WWF’s In Your House pay per view events over the course of the worldwide quarantine. This trios team has been watching wrestling all their lives and debating the outcomes since high school. Join them each week for a new podcast and invite them in your house.