This week on the Wrestling Memory Grenade, we present a special Hybrid episode as we first look at TV from the weekend of February 18th in the NWA. Then, we follow that up with another special Watch-Along, this time of the NWA Chi-Town Rumble PPV, featuring Flair vs. Steamboat for the NWA World Title!
Here is everything featured in the podcast:
NWA Pro 2/18/89 (00:02:34)
David Crocket has technically been removed from TV weeks ago but he still won’t go away!!! Sting meets the future Billy Gunn, the final match involving the Original Midnight Express, and more.
NWA Worldwide 2/18/89 (00:05:03)
Steamboat goes all “Star Wars” on us as he claims that Ric Flair is from the Darkside. Lex Luger teams with Sting to take on the Cruel Connection. The Varisty Club gear up for 6-man tag team action. Steiner Watch ’89 continues as Rick Steiner takes to the ring. Plus, the interesting team of Barry Windham paired with “Hacksaw” Butch Reed, and more.
NWA World Championship Wrestling 2/18/89 (00:07:30)
This is the NWA… We Wrestle. Dan Spivey debuts as the newest member of the Varisty Club and gives the first of many insane promos. Just 48 hours before his World Championship Match at Chi-Town Rumble, Ricky Steamboat has a warmup match. The Roadies in another Murder Squash. Vince Young breakdances his way into the NWA. The Samoan Swat Team also make their NWA debut in impressive fashion. Jim Ross just won’t let Pearl Harbor go. Plus, is there a First Family Reunion on the way? All of that, and it’s some female fan’s 18th Birthday. Hear how uncomfortable the program gets when they make a fuss over this girl now being “legal”. Yikes!
NWA Chi-Town Rumble February 20, 1989
- PPV Intro (00:25:33)
- Michael P.S. Hayes vs. The Russian Assassin (w/Paul Jones) (00:31:29, complete with Hayes’ Promo)
- Ricky Steamboat and Family Promo (00:51:23)
- Sting vs. “Hacksaw” Butch Reed (w/Hiro Matsuda) (00:52:53)
- Paul E. Dangerously drops a bomb on Jim Cornette just moments before their match. (01:13:55)
- Jim Cornette Responds (01:16:15)
- 6-MAN LOSER LEAVES – Jim Cornette & His Midnight Express vs. Paul E. & His NEW Original Midnight Express (01:17:27)
- NWA World Champion Ric Flair has some final words for The Dragon (01:36:02)
- NWA TV Champion Rick Steiner (w/Scott Steiner) vs. Mike Rotunda. Can Steiner Watch ’89 survive another week with George Scott as the booker? Find out here! (01:37:44)
- Road Warriors Promo (1:55:04)
- U.S. Heavyweight Champion Barry Windham vs. “Total Package” Lex Luger (01:56:20)
- Mike Rotunda Promo (02:08:06)
- NWA World Tag Team Champions The Road Warriors vs. Kevin Sullivan & Steve “Dr. Death” Williams (02:09:20)
- Lex Luger Promo (02:19:08)
- Highlights of the Flair/Steamboat feud (2:20:30)
- NWA World Heavyweight Champion “Nature Boy” Ric Flair vs. Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat (02:24:15)
- THE REAL MAIN EVENT! Steve Casey vs. Kendall Windham (02:51:40)
You pull the pin and we’ll pick up the pieces… It’s the Wrestling Memory Grenade, exploring the memories of a variety of eras and promotions from wrestling history’s past. Join host Ray Russell and co-host Steven Eckstat as they take a trip down Memory Lane to decades gone by while they analyze and dissect the complete years of your favorite promotions. This podcast is loaded with information, opinions, results, watch-alongs on the WWE Network, and so much more. From Hulkamania to Mulkeymania, from the Four Horsemen to the nWo, from the Midnight Express to the Lex Express. Which promotion are they deep diving into this week? What year have they time traveled back to now? Tune in and find out!
Subscribe now on your favorite podcast app and follow the hosts of the Wrestling Memory Grenade on social media through Twitter @RasslinGrenade and on Facebook. Click the WWE Network link here in the show notes and you’ll also be supporting Wrestling Memory Grenade and The Retro Network as an official affiliate.