What happens when the power goes out during a live wrestling pay per view? Your three hosts of The House Show think it would go a little something, like this.
On May 26, 1996 WWF was presenting the eighth In Your House event. There was a powerful thunderstorm in the area but WWF always brings back up generators for their production trucks. Unfortunately the arena had no backup. Shortly after the first match airs, the feed goes out. WWF had to scramble. A plan for fans in attendance, a plan for those watching at home, and a plan for the wrestlers in the ring. The power returned and the pay per view was back on the air in time for the main event.
To make up for this act of God, WWF scheduled In Your House Beware of Dog for the following Tuesday. Monday Night Raw aired in between as scheduled, and the affected the results of the make up show. These few days are one of the craziest stories in wrestling history.
Beware of Dog 1 was held at the Florence Civic Center in Florence, South Carolina for 6,000 fans. Two nights later on May 28 Beware of Dog 2 took place at the North Charleston Coliseum in North Charleston, South Carolina for 4,500 fans. To this day, this is the only WWF pay per view to ever take place in South Carolina. Maybe there’s a reason for that.
It wouldn’t be The House Show without tangents. Tune in to this episode as the Trios champions discuss: wrestling themed food trucks, when is it okay to insult a woman, what is “attempted alienation of affection”, and could Goldust happen today? Kevin surprises the other hosts by saying something nice about Diana Hart Smith. A fan heckles the wrestlers so much it not only breaks their concentration, but also ours 25 years later. Plus the always popular crickets make an appearance.
Tonight’s matches include:
From Night 1:
- “Wildman” Marc Mero (with Sable) vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley.
- (Power Outage)
- Shawn Michaels (WWF Champion, accompanied by Jose Lothario) vs. The British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith (with Diana Hart Smith, Clarence Mason, and Owen Hart).
From Night 2:
- Savio Vega vs. “Stone Cold” Steve Austin (with Ted DiBiase) in a Caribbean Strap Match. Also, if Vega wins then DiBiase will leave the WWF but if Austin wins Vega has to be DiBiase’s chauffeur.
- Vader (with Jim Cornette) vs. Yokozuna.
- Goldust (WWF Intercontinental champion, with Marlena) vs. The Undertaker (with Paul Bearer) in a Casket Match.
The Retro Network’s own Kevin Decent (@MaskedLibrary) along with his two best friends “Sweet” Matty Treats (@MattyTreats) and Matt “the Educator of Excellence” are revisiting the WWF’s In Your House pay per view events over the course of the worldwide quarantine. This trios team has been watching wrestling all their lives and debating the outcomes since high school. Join them each and every week and invite them in your house.