The weekly Recurrent Events column features the latest retro pop culture headlines. Listen to Jason and Mickey go in depth on select stories in the upcoming TRN Podcast this Tuesday. Movies, TV, Food, Video Games, Music, Toys…we’ve got you covered on all the nostalgic stuff that matters to you.
The big story this week continues to be coronavirus and how the vast majority of the American public is in self quarantine. More states and major cities are requiring businesses to close and citizens to stay in doors which means online entertainment and streaming are at an all-time high. My message to our readers continues to be…STAY SAFE, STAY HEALTHY. I continue to work at my office but I’ve tried to stay away from eating out and visiting any stores that really aren’t necessary (#thriftstorewithdrawl). It’s discouraging I know and while some of us are more independent and don’t mind the reduced human interaction, I still know many who need that companionship that words on a screen simply can’t replace. While we are trying to provide more podcast, articles, and videos, we are happy to talk with anyone who is struggling and needs some encouragement. Contact Us if you need to go deeper or just reminisce about pop culture. And if you just need a good distraction, don’t forget about our Best of TRN Guide which can offer you hours of nostalgia. We care about our followers and the retro community so please tell us if you need anything or even have request for a feature or podcast. STAY SAFE, STAY HEALTHY, and we’ll get through this thing together!
Here are the Recurrent Events headlines for the week of March 15-21, 2020.
(Stories marked with *** are discussed on TRN Podcast this week.)
- ***The Mandalorian Season 2 Casts Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka Tano
- ***New Roku Channels for March 20, 2020 include Retro Game Fix
- ***ESPN Plans to Air Classic ‘WrestleMania’ Events (EXCLUSIVE)
- ***NFL Game Pass Available for Free Through May in the US
- Sling TV Subscribers Can Enjoy Free Showtime, Hallmark Channels, SundanceTV, & More For a Limited Time
- ***Fox Acquires Free Streaming Service Tubi in a $440 Million Deal – We mention our concerns about this on the podcast. Really hope Tubi continues to be a hub of retro content.
- ***She-Ra and the Princess of Power’s final season to premiere in May
- ***Pluto TV Adds 4 New Channels Including 24/7 Cops
- ***‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ Speeds to Early Release on Digital
- ***‘Birds Of Prey’ Flying Into Homes Earlier Than Expected
- ***Vin Diesel’s ‘Bloodshot’ Released on Demand Early
- Rotten Tomatoes recommends 100 “fresh” movies that are free on Roku – Most are retro!
- Movies Anywhere Will Now Let You Lend Movies to a Friend – This is most excellent especially during a time when everyone is at home.
- Guy Builds Giant Motorized Death Star Trench Run LEGO Diorama – Incredible!!!
- ***Green Hornet Returns in New Series From Dynamite
- ***Free Comic Book Day 2020 Postponed Due to Coronavirus
- ***Star Wars Stormtrooper, TIE Fighter Pilot, And Boba Fett Helmet LEGO Sets
- Transformers: A Guide to the Generation One Continuity Beyond the Cartoon
- Top Five Retro Console Games Series Worth Playing Quarantined
- ComiXology Unlimited Extends Free Trial Period to 60 Days – Comixology is through Amazon. Click over to download the app to your Kindle and get 2 months of free unlimited comics to pass the time!
- G.I. Joe: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Duke
- ***Kenny Rogers Dies: Country Music Icon Was 81
- Aaron Paul Is Interested In Playing Kurt Cobain In A Nirvana Biopic
Recurrent Events can be found each week as a segment on The Retro Network Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a comment on your favorite story from the list above. Also visit the Recurrent Events Archive for headlines from previous weeks!