The weekly Recurrent Events column features the latest retro pop culture headlines. Listen to Jason and Mickey go in depth on select stories in the upcoming TRN Podcast this Tuesday. Movies, TV, Food, Video Games, Music, Toys…we’ve got you covered on all the nostalgic stuff that matters to you.
The big story this week is, of course, the coronavirus. My news feed (as I’m sure yours as well) was flooded with everything in the entertainment industry being canceled, suspended, or delayed. Instead of relaying every movie, TV show, concert, and what-have-you in this week’s Recurrent Events I’d rather give you a simple message…STAY SAFE, STAY HEALTHY. While my kids will be remaining at home and my wife working remotely, I will likely still be at the office unless the United State Postal Service shuts down for a period of time. So while I’m planning not to be under house arrest by coronavirus, I’m still keeping my movements to a minimum should our city become more infected. If you are under quarantine for a significant amount of time, I invite you to check out all of the great TRN content that we’ve provided over the last 9 months. We’ve now got over 100 podcast episodes in our feed. Mickey has 17 episodes of the Waxpack Flashback on YouTube. And if you are reading this, you know we have hundreds of written features on the site ready for you to explore. For an easy reference guide, check out the Best of TRN Guide. STAY SAFE, STAY HEALTHY.
Here are the rest of the Recurrent Events headlines for the week of March 8-14, 2020. (Stories marked with *** are discussed on TRN Podcast this week.)
- Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt Search for Eternal Life in ‘Jungle Cruise’ Trailer – I’m getting more of a Skull Island vibe now and I like it. After Pirates of the Caribbean, my faith in Disney turning old rides into movies has really skyrocketed. Excited for this movie.
- **‘Scream’ Reboot in the Works With ‘Ready or Not’ Directors – We covered this a couple weeks ago but seems like adding directors is a shot that it will be rebooted.
- Get a behind-the-scenes look at the “Video Zone” in this Nick Arcade documentary
- **Quibi’s Legends Of The Hidden Temple is looking for adults who’d like to be humiliated by a talking rock – This might actually get me to check out Quibi. We’ve been watching episodes on Pluto TV’s Nick Games channel and seeing adults play seems like real entertainment.
- **MOTU Castle Greyskull He-Man Prime Custom Has the POWER – Love these toy mashups!
- LEGO Ideas Creations Projects Approaching 10 000 Supporters Includes K.I.T.T. – Next we need the Genera Lee and Airwolf!
- Take on the Latest Rubik’s Challenge with Rubik’s Orbit – I can barely solve one side of the original so any new version of Rubik’s Cube that gives me better odds, I’m all for it.
- R.E.M.’s Song ‘It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)’ Is A Hit Again – That’s a big one-finger salute to the coronavirus from Americans.
- 25 Years Ago: Van Halen Dive Into Pop with ‘Can’t Stop Lovin’ You’
- **SPOTTED: Spam Fries – I’ll try anything once and when it comes to deep-fried sticks of Spam…maybe twice.
- **Coronavirus Can’t Stop France’s Record-Setting Smurf Gathering – Cannot believe the Smurfs are still this popular.
Recurrent Events can be found each week as a segment on The Retro Network Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a comment on your favorite story from the list above. Also visit the Recurrent Events Archive for headlines from previous weeks!