Recurrent Events is your source for headlines across the web from a retro perspective. Curated by TRN co-creator Jason Gross, news categories include streaming news and guides, movie and TV reboots, music news, video games releases, new food offerings, fun items to collect, and much more. Jason also occasionally reviews some of the featured Recurrent Events items on the TRN TV YouTube channel.
Here are your Recurrent Events headlines from the first week of August 2022.
Taco Bell’s Mexican Pizza was all the rage in TRN’s VIP Lounge on Slack when it was brought back a few months ago. Mickey and Jason even jumped on a Twitter Spaces to discuss back in May 2020. I expect more banter when folks head for the border in about a month when the Mexican Pizza takes its new permanent residency on the menu starting Sept 15, 2022.
Personally, I’ve never been a huge fan. There are plenty more items, even newer items, that I enjoy more at Taco Bell but the Mexican Pizza is nostalgic for many people that remember when it first hit menus in the ’80s. If you’re one of those people, I hope this move is permanent so you can always get your fix!
- The 2005 series Everybody Hates Chris starring Chris Rock is getting an animated sequel on Paramount+ titled Everybody Still Hates Chris. The showrunner Sanjay Shah just inked a 2-year deal this week.
- One of my favorite streaming platforms Pluto TV now has dedicated channels for the classic game show duo Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!. The Wheel of Fortune channel will include 250 episodes that were broadcast over the last 5 years. However, the 250 Jeopardy! episodes in the deal will date back to 1984 with host Alex Trebek and include blocks of classic tournaments like Battle of the Decades, College Championship, Teen Tournament, Kids Week, and Tournament of Champions.
- Masters of the Universe fans can expect the entire 2002 animated series to be released to the official Mattel Action channel on YouTube. So far the first two episodes of Season 2 have been released.
- Mickey put together a Retro Streaming Guide for Aug 2022 on Retro Ramblings featuring 70s-90s movies that have a new home on popular streaming services.
- Shapeshift Records is putting their 16-bit spin on the Ghostbusters II soundtrack which will be available for preorder soon. For now, you can preview one of the tracks, Run-D.M.C’s “Ghostbusters” theme, on the Ghostbusters News YouTube channel. Also check out Shapeshift Records first project Gotham ’89 which reimagines Danny Elfman’s iconic score from the 1989 Batman film.
- Brach’s themed jelly bean and candy corn offerings over the past couple years have been a homerun. I’m not necessarily talking about the individual flavors but more of the presentation. We’ve posted reviews of the Turkey Dinner candy corn and earlier this year, I reviewed the Taco Truck jelly beans on Instagram. The latest Brach’s offering spotted at Walgreens is Tail Gate candy corn. Flavors include include hamburger, hot dog, popcorn, fruit punch, and vanilla ice cream. Sounds like more of a Backyard Barbecue or as Karen suggested in the VIP Lounge, 4th of July. I’ll be searching for these and will review for TRN in the near future. Another one missed that was released over the past couple weeks is Funfetti candy corn.
- Pumpkin Spice Oreo cookies are returning to store shelves on Aug 15, 2022. I’m all for the fall flavors but that release seems a little early to me.
- Post Waffle Crisp cereal has been back on store shelves for a couple weeks now. I remember trying it back in the ’90s and enjoy the syrupy cereal. Post has brought it back a couple times since then and now is your chance to snag a box.
- Do you enjoy LEGO advent calendars around Christmastime? Toy N Bricks has a sneak peek at the LEGO Star Wars advent calendar for 2022.
- Funko has announced new Stranger Things 4 POP! Vinyl figures which you can now preorder on Entertainment Earth. Included in the collection are new baddies Vecna and Demobat, Robin in her hunting gear and El with her school diorama project.
The Retro Network has several podcasts that release on a regular basis including Wizards, Box Office 30, Greatest Lists, and Hellions Talks. Here are some podcasts outside of the network to check out this week.
- Retroist talks about the iconic ’70s action TV series Six Million Dollar Man.
- Listen to Pax’s review of the Top Gun novelization on I Read Movies.
There’s a new TMNT animated movie coming to Netflix and you can watch the first 4 minutes now on YouTube!
Did we missed a headline this week that fits with Recurrent Events? Need to rant about a particular story? Feel free to start a dialog with Recurrent Events curator Jason in the comments below.