The weekly Recurrent Events column features the latest retro pop culture headlines. Listen to Jason and Mickey go in depth on select stories in the upcoming TRN Podcast this Tuesday. Movies, TV, Food, Video Games, Music, Toys…we’ve got you covered on all the nostalgic stuff that matters to you.
The big story this week is Bob Ross continues to posthumously bring the joys of life…this time through his own breakfast cereal! It seems Bob Ross is most merchandised deceased celebrity in recent years and at times, feels like who could eventually eclipse the like of Elvis and others. But can you imagine anyone else who continues to bring joy to human life that deserves his own breakfast cereal? I don’t think so. An exclusive to FYE, the cereal is a “toasted oats cereal full of crunchy marshmallows in various “Rossian” shapes including Almighty Mountains, Lovely Little Bushes and even the occasional Happy Little Accidents!” Yeah, so it’s essentially Bob Ross Lucky Charms but collectors will love to get their hands on a box.
Here are the Recurrent Events headlines for the week of April 19-25, 2020.
(Stories marked with *** are discussed on TRN Podcast this week.)
- ***HBO Max Will Launch May 27 with over 10,000 Hours of Content – Gonna be a very tough decision at the end of May of what streaming services we will be subscribing to!
- ***‘The Mandalorian’ Season 3 Already in the Works at Disney Plus – Also very excited for the upcoming docuseries on May 4th that goes behind the scenes.
- ***Apple revives Fraggle Rock for a series of short weekly episodes filmed in quarantine – Not a subscriber, but have not seen great reviews of the first episode.
- ***‘Stan Lee’s Superhero Kindergarten’ to Premiere on Amazon Prime Next Spring – Starring the voice of Arnold Schwarzenegger, this almost looks like an animated Kindergarten Cop.
- ***‘Scoob!’ To Skip Theaters & Head Into Homes; How Director Tony Cervone Got Animated Pic Across The Finish Line In COVID-19 Climate – Lots of Scooby fans in my household (including me) so this might be one we rent when it comes out May 15
- ***The Princess Bride Stars Reunite to Announce Disney+ Debut Date – I’ve made an egregious error of not showing this movie to my kids yet and this is the perfect excuse to watch with them.
- Paramount Opens The Vault For New Line Of Classic Blu-rays, Theatrical Re-Releases And Weekend Virtual Screenings In The Age Of Coronavirus
- ***Hulk Hogan Biopic Star Chris Hemsworth Reveals Fascination With Pro Wresting – Had no idea this was in the works. Should be interesting.
- ***Bill Murray’s Peter Venkman Died in the Original Ghostbusters 3 and More Details From the Unfilmed Script – For those of you who want a rabbit hole, some great “What Ifs” for the Ghostbusters universe.
- ***Chris Pine In Talks To Star In Paramount’s Reboot Of ‘The Saint’ – I’m liking this choice.
- Retro racing game 80’s Overdrive coming to Switch on May 7
- RetroMania Wrestling Adds New NWA Challenger
- NECA 90’s TMNT Movie Turtle Figures Return To Walmart In June
- ***Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 is free until May 10
- Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Ghostbusters And A Tale Of Licensing Hell – This was very fun video to watch for those who remember playing Bugs Bunny’s Crazy Castle
- SPOTTED: Chicken & Waffles Pringles
- COMING SOON: Limited Edition Chips Ahoy Sour Patch Kids Cookies – Forgot to bring this up on the podcast but after eating the cereal, it’s a no from me.
- ***Classic GI Joe Artist Hector Garrido Has Died – Thank you sir for giving us pop art that is tangible nostalgia.
Recurrent Events can be found each week as a segment on The Retro Network Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a comment on your favorite story from the list above. Also visit the Recurrent Events Archive for headlines from previous weeks!