The weekly Recurrent Events column features the latest retro pop culture headlines. Listen to Jason and Mickey go in depth on select stories in the upcoming TRN Podcast this Tuesday. Movies, TV, Food, Video Games, Music, Toys…we’ve got you covered on all the nostalgic stuff that matters to you.
The big story this week is Hasbro continuing two beloved ’80s franchises in the theater. G.I. Joe and Transformers made waves this past week on theatrical film projects.First, writers have been hired for the next G.I. Joe film which is described as “not quite a sequel but rather an expansion to take audience goers deeper into the world of Joe.” I’m hoping the new Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins movie takes a page out of Bumblebee and reflects the “Real American Hero” era that we all love. Going deeper on specific characters would be fine as long as they embrace the file cards of the past and not try to reinvent the wheel. For Transformers, there were two projects announced this past week including the 7th live-action movie and a new animated prequel. I’m all for Transformers going back to its roots with an animated movie but the premise of a prequel on Cybertron has me worried how the robots can still transform into cars, jets, and vehicles on a planet devoid of them. Wasn’t Soundwave original a light post in the first episode of the animated series? As far as the live-action movie, the best thing would be to just ignore everything before Bumblebee. It might be difficult to tie into Bumblebee directly but keeping the spirit of the G1 era I think is essential to keeping the older fans appeased.
Here are the Recurrent Events headlines for the week of April 26-May 2, 2020.
(Stories marked with *** are discussed on TRN Podcast this week.)
- ***Josh Gad Reunited THE GOONIES Cast and Crew – Highlight of my week. It was so good to see them all again.
- ***‘Hercules’ Live-Action Remake In Works At Disney With Russo Brothers Producing, ‘Shang-Chi’ Scribe Writing – No end to these live-action remakes.
- ***James Gunn Shares Details About His Insane Spy Vs. Spy Script – Jim Carrey vs Damon Wayans? Holy crap, that would’ve been fun!
- The Princess Bride: Why the Book Is Better Than the Movie
- Disney Developing Tarzan Live-Action Movie – Like I said, there is no stopping this Live-action remake trend and soon we’ll be getting sequels.
- Every Star Wars Movie And TV Show In Chronological Order – For your Star Wars Day viewing pleasure!
- ***‘Fuller House’ Sets Premiere Date For Final Episodes
- ***Pluto TV Adds Four AMC Networks Channels, Including ‘Walking Dead En Español’ – Halt and Catch Fire is a show I’d recommend but this is a miss if they aren’t including Breaking Bad.
- ***HBO Max is Now Available for Pre-Order With a Discount
- ***‘Goosebumps’ Live-Action Series In Works By Neal H. Moritz & Scholastic
- ***Back To The Future POP! Vinyl Figures From Funko
- ***Masters of the Universe UNO coming soon!
- ***Disney Announces Line of Reusable Character Cloth Face Masks
- NECA 90’s TMNT Movie Turtle Figures Return To Walmart In June
- ***Limited Edition Chips Ahoy Sour Patch Kids Cookies
- ***Dairy Queen Frosted Animal Cookie Blizzard
- ***Smucker’s Uncrustables Taco Bites and BBQ Chicken Bites
- New Music Video That Pays Tribute To All The Classic 80’s Music Videos
- Hear 25 Unreleased Van Halen Songs: A Hidden History
- ‘Weird Al’ Yankovic Parodies The Who With ‘Won’t Eat Prunes Again’ in an Unreleased 1980 Recording
Recurrent Events can be found each week as a segment on The Retro Network Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a comment on your favorite story from the list above. Also visit the Recurrent Events Archive for headlines from previous weeks!