Another great week of headlines has passed us by but Recurrent Events is here to recap the retro pop culture you crave. You’ll get to hear Mickey and I discuss several topics on TRN Podcast this week including several TV reboots in the works. In fact, the TV/Streaming section is loaded with headlines this week on reboots, remakes, and even musical adaptations.
The big story this week for me is the new G.I. Joe: War on Cobra mobile game coming January 20. While I’m not a huge fan of multiplayer strategy games like Clash of Clans, I am planning on giving it a shot. I enjoy card collecting games and it sounds like this game incorporates that aspect as well so I’ll be trying to get my favorites. The characters style is a little different from what I’m used to but should still be easy to identify your favorites (vehicles included.) It’s the right time to release a new game with fans gearing up for Snakes Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins release in October. It’s a shame that more of G.I. Joe has not been utilized over the last several years. Hasbro has gone back to the toy well so many times but I really think a franchise with this many characters and stories should always have something new whether it be video games, animated shows, or other products.
Here are the rest of the Recurrent Events headlines for the week of Dec 5 – Jan 11. (Stories marked with *** are discussed on TRN Podcast this week.)
- ‘Chucky’ TV Adaptation Scares Up Straight-to-Series Order at Syfy – I’m actually surprised a series has never been attempted to this point.
- ***‘Saved By The Bell’ Reboot Will See Mark-Paul Gosselaar Return As Zack Morris – How can you NOT have him return?
- ***Fox is reviving America’s Most Wanted because actually, crime does pay – Smart move with the current true crime television landscape.
- M.A.S.K. (Mobile Armored Armored Strike Kommand) Animated Series Coming in 2020?!? – Trust me, I’ve chased this wild goose before. Renewing a trademark don’t me jack squat.
- Cary Fukunaga’s The Last Of The Mohicans series heads to HBO Max
- Firefly: Fox and Executive Producer Are Open to Revival – I was late to the show by several years, but enjoyed it and the movie. I’d say its time to move on or do a sequel series with a new cast.
- Fran Drescher, Rachel Bloom Developing ‘The Nanny’ Broadway Musical Inspired By ’90s Sitcom
- ***‘Thirtysomething’: ABC Picks Up Sequel Series Pilot With Original Cast From Marshall Herskovitz & Ed Zwick
- ***ABC Nabs ‘Supermarket Sweep’ Revival Game Show Hosted By Leslie Jones – VERY excited for this. One of my favorite game shows that I still catch episodes from time-to-time on Pluto TV’s Buzzr channel.
- ***Superman & Lois Star Promises Pilot is ‘Something We Haven’t Seen Before’ – Maybe when I’m retired I’ll catch up on all these DC shows.
- Willow: Production Has Begun On Disney+’s Sequel Series – We discuss briefly during the podcast intro segment. I’m planning on giving the movie another shot soon as it didn’t connect with me much as a kid.
- Star Trek: Picard TV Spots Reveal New Information About Data
- Brand New G.I. Joe Live Action Movie Series Confirmed – I like the idea of origin stories if it takes us back to the ’80s and the Real American Hero era.
- G.I. Joe: Snake-Eyes Movie Starts Production In Japan
- ***Andy Muschietti says he’s remaking Joe Dante’s The Howling for Netflix
- Masters of the Universe’s Brutal (But Canceled) 2008 Movie Script – Very interesting read.
- ***WWE Ice Cream Bars Are Back! – This is very fun news even though the are slightly different than the originals.
- ***Oscar Mayer Is Looking For ‘Hot Doggers’ To Drive Their Wienermobile Again – You know Mickey had a field day with this.
- ***Watch a trailer for HBO’s 6-part docuseries about the bizarre case of McDonald’s Monopoly fraud – Another series, I’d love to see. It might be something to get me to at least signup up for an HBO Max free trial.
- Shredder Will Become the Green Power Ranger in TMNT Crossover – As Bull used to say on Night Court… “Ohhhhh-kay.”
- Masters of the Multiverse Kills Off One Popular Villain to Upgrade Another – Reading this article confused the crap outta me. I guess multiverse stories really aren’t my thing.
- Vintage Comic Book Covers For Each Episode Of The Mandalorian – WAY COOL.
- Michael Jackson’s ‘Billy Jean’ With Every Instrument Replaced With Spring Door Stopper Sounds – Why you ask? Because the internet.
- Prince to be honored with an all-star Grammy tribute concert
- Elton John Plays Piano, Sings on Ozzy Osbourne’s ‘Ordinary Man’ – Interesting.
- 11 speedrunners beat NES’ Home Alone at the same time to set a record – As much as I love Home ALone, can’t say I’ve ever played the NES game. I love seeing headlines like this of speed run attempts on classic games.
- NBA Jam, Burger Time and More Arcade1up Cabinets Announced – YESSSSS!!!!!! I seriously need to look at moving into a new house if my wife doesn’t put me in one first.
Recurrent Events can be found each week as a segment on The Retro Network Podcast. Please subscribe and give us your feedback which we might feature on a future podcast episode. Also visit the Recurrent Events Archive for headlines from previous weeks!
Be the first to comment