The weekly Recurrent Events column features the latest retro pop culture headlines. Listen to Jason and Mickey go in depth on select stories in the upcoming TRN Podcast this Tuesday. Movies, TV, Food, Video Games, Music, Toys…we’ve got you covered on all the nostalgic stuff that matters to you.
The big story this week is the announcement of Boba Fett appearing in Season 2 of The Mandalorian. Temuera Morrison, who played Jango Fett in Star Wars: Attack of the Clones, will step in to play Boba Fett in the next season. It sounds like it will be just a small part but the adaption of expanded universe is this key here. Boba Fett is last seen swallowed by the Sarlacc Pit in Return of the Jedi. Expanded universe stories tell that he escaped to resume his rivalry with Han Solo. Some fans think that this announcement might reveal the unknown character that’s partially shown in the last episode of Season 1 as Boba Fett. All this to say, is it a good move to bring the fan-favorite Boba Fett back from what was long thought his grave? So far it seems Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni can do wrong. This could be the biggest risk so far in the series which could solidify Boba Fett’s legacy as a Star Wars character or come off as just fan service as some material in Episode IX did. We’ll have to wait until October to find out!
Here are the Recurrent Events headlines for the week of May 3-9, 2020.
(Stories marked with *** are discussed on TRN Podcast this week.)
- ***National Treasure TV Series in Development for Disney Plus – Mickey and I are all-in for the movie and now this TV series. Can’t wait to see how its adapted.
- ***There’s a Treasure Trove of Vintage 1980s MTV Programming Online Now – Unfortunately, this has already been taken down. It’s a shame because those of us who grew up on MTV really have no place to watch full-length classic programming.
- ‘Lego Masters’: Fox Eyes Midseason Return For Will Arnett-Hosted Competition Format
- ***Game Show Network Launches Free Streaming Network – I’m a game show junkie and it will be fun to watch some of the early GSN originals again.
- ***Nickelodeon launching new kid-friendly podcasts – This is a great way to our kids into listening to podcasts which I’ve tried to do for years.
- ***Demolition Man Sequel Is in the Works – It’s been awhile since I watch the movie but its one that’s nostalgic for me and my high school years. Not sure about a sequel.
- ‘Dungeons & Dragons’ Film Moves Forward With Deal With Former Marvel Exec Jeremy Latcham
- Tony Hawk Documentary ‘Pretending I’m a Superman’ Lands at Wood Entertainment
- ***Disney Developing Female-Led Pirates of the Caribbean Film – Johnny Depp’s price tag is the key here, but a strong female cast could cause us to forget about Jack Sparrow.
- The Hood Internet distills 50 hits from 1985 into three ecstatic minutes – This is one (if not the most) amazing remixes of ’80s music both visually and musically. The best part is they’ve also done 1979-84 on their channel.
- Guns N’ Roses’ ‘Sweet Child O’ Mine’ Becomes a Kids’ Book – This could be really fun.
Recurrent Events can be found each week as a segment on The Retro Network Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a comment on your favorite story from the list above. Also visit the Recurrent Events Archive for headlines from previous weeks!