The weekly Recurrent Events column features the latest retro pop culture headlines. Listen to Jason and Mickey go in depth on select stories in the upcoming TRN Podcast this Tuesday. Movies, TV, Food, Video Games, Music, Toys…we’ve got you covered on all the nostalgic stuff that matters to you.
Happy Easter Everyone! I know it’s been a challenge to make the holiday special this year. With the self quarantine, it’s been more difficult to get the supplies we need to make Easter baskets for the kids. And for churchgoers who normally dress in their very Sunday best, we won’t get that rare photo opportunity with everyone dressed up. However, may I suggest to have Easter at home this year! If you’ve got some plastic eggs leftover from years past (like we do), host a hunt in your backyard! And since most of us has been trapped with no place to go for a couple weeks, get dressed up for Sunday dinner and take that family photo in the backyard! My family is planning to make it the best we can from home so I encourage you do something outside of the normal to make Easter a special day this year.
Here are the Recurrent Events headlines for the week of April 5-11, 2020.
(Stories marked with *** are discussed on TRN Podcast this week.)
- Beetlejuice Documentary Trailer: The Making of the 1980s Classic – I enjoyed Back in Time and Ghostheads so this should be a fun film!
- ***Movie Lending on Movies Anywhere is Now Available for More Users
- Live-Action Robin Hood Remake in Development at Disney – Because, why not!
- Is John Cena Teasing an X-O Manowar Movie?
- Hellraiser Reboot Announces Director, Writers
- ***‘Doogie Howser’ Female-Led Reboot ‘Doogie Kealoha, M.D.’ In Works At Disney+ from executive producer Kourtney Kang – Set in Hawaii, the show centers on a 16-year-old half Asian, half white girl who works as a doctor. The lead character’s ethnicity reflects Hawaii-born Kang’s own background — she previously tapped into her experiences growing up in a mixed-race family in a comedy pilot for NBC. Kang has previously produced How I Met your Mother and Fresh Off the boat.
- ***CBS Brings Back Sunday Movie Night Amid Pandemic With Top Paramount Titles ‘Titanic’, ‘Indiana Jones’ Forrest Gump & ‘MI’ – Starts on May 5 for 5-week run.
- ***‘Battlestar Galactica’ & ‘Xena: Warrior Princess’ April Marathons Set On Syfy
- ***FilmRise is Making More Classic TV Available for Free – My Favorite Martian and Rifleman just added. Also available “Batman” (1966), “3rd Rock from the Sun”, “Robotech”, “21 Jump Street”, “The Greatest American Hero”, “Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes”, “Silk Stalkings” and “The Commish”.
- ***Netflix To Launch Latest Jerry Seinfeld Special ‘23 Hours To Kill” for May 5 – The title is a reference to a line that stand-ups spend one hour a day on stage and the rest of the day waiting for that moment. Its Seinfeld’s second stand-up special for Netflix.
- LeVar Burton is Streaming Live Story Time Readings on Twitter – Which is essentially a reboot of Reading Rainbow!
- ***Original SPAWN Action Figure and Comic Remastered Kickstarter – Was never into Spawn but seems like an overwhelming response to the figure and comic set.
- ***LEGO Super Mario: First Sets, Release Date and Prices Revealed – A little expensive but looks pretty cool.
- ***Mountain Dew-Flavored Doritos Are Here To Take Your Snacking Game To A Whole New Level – Man, I wanna try a bag so bad. G’day to all my mates Down Under! Send me a bag and I’ll be your bloke for life!
- ***SPOTTED: ICEE Cola Cherry Cola Freezer pops – I’m down for anything that sports the ICEE brand.
- ***SPOTTED: Keebler Special Batch Hot Fudge Sundae Fudge Stripes Cookies
- ***REVIEW: Canada Dry Pomegranate Ginger Ale (Canada)
- SPOTTED: Now and Later Morphs
- Pac-Man Fever musician releases new song. – Love it.
Recurrent Events can be found each week as a segment on The Retro Network Podcast. Please subscribe and leave a comment on your favorite story from the list above. Also visit the Recurrent Events Archive for headlines from previous weeks!